Sunday 8 June 2008

Prawns and Pawns

The fun never stops in Ibiza's mountain village of San Jose. So to get away from it we caught the number 8 bus to the island's second city, San Antonio, last night.

First stop was our favourite restaurant Es Ventall where we stuffed ourselves with a myriad of seafood (fish soup, pasta and prawns and fideua) in a three course special menu which set us back only €38 and included two bottles of Rueda wine and all the usual extras like my beers, coffee etc.




Afterwards we went to Cafe Babel for lashings of Gin and Tonic and a bout of chess. If, like me, you thought chess was a game of brute strength and ignorance you'd be as wrong as I discovered I was last night.

Straight from the kick off Jaki's pawn put in a sweet little grubber kick just over the 10 yard line and her Bishop gathered and ran the diagonal to cross for a try in the corner.

After a Brian Noble style team talk at half time using tonic bottles and gin glasses it became apparent that tactics would do the trick.

Jaki had been using a flat sliding defence during the first half but with a couple of pawns as dummy runners I stretched it over to the right, quickly passing from Knight to Bishop and a long loping pass to the Queen who cut inside to go over right between the sticks for an easy conversion.

Because she let me win I treated Jaki to a taxi home - I couldn't let her walk 10 k up a mountain in her high heels.

No comments: