Saturday 22 December 2007

Ibiza Blogs and Sods

Unconnected ramblings with an Ibiza connection.

Unwritten rules of motoring. I've noticed that when I'm walking with Marli along narrow country lanes with no pavement that local motorists always courteously slow down and give you a really wide berth. I also suspect that they are smiling but as the dashboard blocks the view of most of their face I can't confirm that.

Empire State Human. Here's Jaki towering above 'the local people' at a country gathering.

You'd think she was seven feet tall wouldn't you? She is, in fact, quite normal and everyone else is vertically challenged. Average height for villagers is a hobbit sized 7 links (4' 8" in English) which leads to problems for us when visiting their burrows.



You think I'm joking? Take a look at the extractor fan hood over our hob.

I keep banging my head on it when I'm crouching down to see what's cooking!


Paco Fernandez, the well known Chill Out Flamenco Jazz guitarist was in the queue in front of me in SYP the other day. We were both in a pretty chilled out mood as a whopping 4 out of the 5 check outs were open (and I'd succeeded in buying about 60% of the items we desperately needed to survive another week.)


This is as opposed to the previous week when only one solitary girl manned the check outs and she'd chosen to open the one with a broken belt so we all had to manually pass our purchases over an enormous empty box stopping us from putting stuff on the belt. (though Christ alone knows where they managed to get an empty box from?)


Anyway, as a gesture of solidarity Paco offered me the stamps he had earned from his shopping to put towards a lovely set of plates. I politely declined - what's the point saving for something they never have in stock?


Mental Arithmetic. Talking of stamps, you have to stick them on a special piece of paper in 10 rows of 5 stamps = 50 stamps per page. Simple isn't it? Well not if you're employed as a cashier in SYP it isn't. The girl I chose to hand over my four cava glasses actually counted every single one of the 120 stamps required before giving me the goodies.

No comments: