Sunday 8 November 2009

A Dog's Tale

A few weeks ago I'd taken Marli out for her evening stroll when I heard the squeals of an animal in pain. I followed the sound and found a little dog (which had been straying round the village all summer and begging for scraps in the bars) that had obviously been run over by a car. It was huddled in a corner with blood on its back leg and obviously suffering – as its squeals attested – a lot of pain.



I could hear it from 200 metres away, our custodians of the law, couldn't hear it from their local police office just 20 metres distant. They had a good excuse though, they were watching a film at high volume on the computer which drowned out any noise from the outside world.


I sat with the poor animal for half an hour and Victoria from Es Galliner returned from the police station with the news that the emergency vet couldn't come – he didn't have a car. Well, it's not really a necessity when you're on emergency call out is it?

Some while later someone from Rancho Can Dog arrived and we gently manoeuvred the little dog into a cage to be taken off for treatment the following day – better than none at all I suppose.


I rang Can Dog on the following Monday and they told me that he was alright, no bones broken, and they would try and find him a home. The waitress at De Res had told me, prior to his accident,that they'd been feeding him and I told her where he was and what had happened.


When I saw her yesterday she told me that the owners at De Res had adopted the little chap and called him 'Lucky.'

No comments: