Wednesday 2 July 2008

Syp Supermarket Silliness

The usual story at Ibiza's Ses Paisses Syp today. Empty shelves, items uncoded and unpriced, no code lists at the checkouts and cashiers unable to identify basic vegetables. Ours turned our spinach upside down looking in vain for some clue as to its name.

Any road, Jaki was with me today to provide the silliest comment of the day which was provoked by the sight of some cans on the shelf.

'OOOOOhhhhhhhhhh shandy,' she said.

In my entire life I've never once been excited by the prospect of a can of shandy.

However, mard-arse-southern-shandy-drinking-softies from London might just be interested in this public service announcement regarding girls' drinks in Ibiza

A shandy is lager with bitter lemon added
A clara is lager with lemonade added

Don't ask me what they taste like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From where I live "up north" a shandy is definitely a half beer and half lemonade, nothing to do with bitter lemon im afraid.....the name shandy reminds me of being a kid back in the late sixties/early seventies when it was all the rage.

El Ste said...

you'll find that in most of spain a shandy is made with lemonade. my recollection of shandy in britain is a bitter and lemonade mix as opposed to the extremely girlie lager top favoured by big girl's blouses down south